Tattoo Art

Care to see my etchings?
Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Tattoo Art

Post by Labrys » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 am

Forgive me if there is already a topic hidden someplace on this subject...I didn't find it, obviously.

My tattoos are both art and spiritual. I have designed my own tatts with the exception of the two on my back, those two are of ancient lineage---one being a very old image of Athena in a chariot pulled by serpents, the other is the be goddess of Minoan Crete.

On right shoulder perfectly is a cougar with elemental images (mountain/forest-earth, whirlpool-water, night sky/air, and flames and sunrise for fire). The cat is my personal totem, and it is "climbing" down over my shoulder, descending to take the "elements" to my dominant hand. On my left arm are four serpents ascending, in colors representing the elements being taken up that arm. Also, a seven sided rose for Hekate, inside a seven sided star in the colors of the rainbow for Kybele.

So, anyone else have tatts with special reason?
Sounds like undulant rhetoric to me!
Remember the Fallen: http://www.walkofthefallen.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:14 pm

I've got two...and both have meaning and both were basically designed by me. I don't believe in getting a tattoo if it doesn't have personal meaning. It's just graffiti then.

My first one is on my chest, just about where my bra sits, and it's a silvery-gray crescent moon holding an eight-pointed star in royal purple (outlined in black). The moon is for my birth sign, that being Cancer. I always associate a crescent moon with Cancer in my head...I guess for the crab's claw. The Eight-pointed star was mainly chosen because it seems to best represent the "burst" of inspiration I get when I start a new story or project. And purple, black and gray are my favorite colors. This one is about the size of an American quarter...maybe a little bit bigger.

My second one is on my right ankle, down near my foot...it's about three inches long...and it's a purple quill. Unfortunately, I need to get the money together to go back to the tattoo shop and get it fixed. The artist added a shadow behind it...but it's not set correctly, so it blurs the image...and neither he nor the guy at the front desk gave me the chance to draw what the end of a quill pen is supposed to look like. They didn't give me the chance to add the drop of splattered ink at the end, either.

There are two reasons for this tattoo as well...first reason being that I'm primarily a writer when it comes to my creativity...so a quill is very appropriate. The other reason is that my Spirit Guide AND Spirit Form (When I roam the various astral or spirit Planes) is a Great Horned Owl. Since I didn't want to put an owl on my body...mainly because the design I wanted needed to be larger than I was willing to pay for or endure...I compromised with the feather.

Unfortunately, I have no pics...the one being in a place that makes it difficult to take a PC picture of it...and the other having the issues it does doesn't photograph well.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Labrys » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:00 pm

Kystar wrote:I've got two...and both have meaning and both were basically designed by me. I don't believe in getting a tattoo if it doesn't have personal meaning. It's just graffiti then.

Unfortunately, I have no pics...the one being in a place that makes it difficult to take a PC picture of it...and the other having the issues it does doesn't photograph well.
I agree, original stuff is better....or at least something with some personal meaning. It doesn't sound like you had a responsive tattoo artist---what jerks!

Is there a way to put pictures here? I didn't see how to do it, it is not the same as on my boards and I am nigh computer stupid anyhow.
Sounds like undulant rhetoric to me!
Remember the Fallen: http://www.walkofthefallen.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:23 pm

I believe the way to post pictures requires that they be hosted somewhere on the internet...then you just use the "Img" button in the post field.

I think.

Well, I made the mistake of going to a popular and busy tattoo parlor in a part of Pittsburgh that's fairly well stashed with bars.

The guy behind the counter didn't even know what a quill WAS! I had to tell him "The feather pen that the wizard is writing in his book with!" (They had a design of a wizard writing in a book looking sort of evil and nasty...but the feather was the right size!)

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 am

I have one tattoo of my own design. It is of a dragon with butterfly wings.

I wanted it to represent the duality I find in myself. A dragon for strength and freedom of spirit and a butterfly to show that I am vulnerable as well. In the end the picture and the tattoo became more to me than I expected but thats another story...

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:18 pm

My tatoo has turned out to be quite special to me, spiritual, and yet explainable to the masses easily.

I have a tatoo of an ankh with a rose curling around it, It's placed just over my left breast. The colours are green vines, red rose with a touch of white at the edges of the petals. The ankh itself is multi-coloured.

The base story I give everyone is that when I was 19, I went to the Calgary Stampede with my friend, and they had a fake tatoo place set up. Me and my friend dutifully paid our $7 and got our fake tatoo's. Mine was a thin, golden ankh with a red, unblooming rose, curling around it. I loved it, and wanted one. A year or so later, I got my first government GST check for $50, and I knew I got paid the next day, so I told my boyfriend that I wanted one. He found me a reputable shop, and we went in the next day. I looked through every design there, but I had my heart set on the anhk with rose design. I got the main artist there to draw it for me, and came back the following friday and got it done. I've loved it ever since.

I've always been attracted to pantheons, as opposed to a monothesitic deity, and the ankh to me has always represented my love of life, the rose being a design I feel close to, but probally has a lot more to do with my being a hopeless romantic than anything spiritual, I'm afraid.

As well, the tatoo has held up extrodinarily well! Most people think that (by the clarity of colour, and how sharp the image is) I've only had it for 6 months, maybe a year at most.

I'm proud to say that I've now had this tatoo for about 8 years, and I haven't needed to get it touched up once! :-D

It's my hope to get more, but refuse to do so until I'm hit with inspiration... even if it's as simple as a picture that inspires me. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:24 pm

I've decided that my next tattoo will be to represent a major transition in life. I mean, my first was basically part of my transition to adulthood...I got it just before I moved out of my mother's house.

My second was gotten just before or just after I got married.

I've decided that my next tat's going to represent my firstborn child. probably something that ties into their zodiac sign.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Nice, I've wanted my second tattoo for a while, but since I can't decide on a design, I've decided to wait until I'm guided to it.

Definately an awesome idea for your next tattoo, Kystar!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 am

Ahh, those GST cheques are nice! They always seem to come at the perfect time! Mine will be used on a healing with a Brennan School graduate.

Kitsune, your tattoo really does look fresh! I can't believe it's 8 years old!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 pm

My first tattoo is my own design, I have 2 roses entwined one is pink and one is Blue, It also has in the "webbing" of the roses I have the First letter of each of my children's Name in it, E and L, you have to look closely to see it but it's there,

My second is on my thigh of dolphins in water at sunset, It was predesigned but it represents the freedom I desire and will eventually get.

My third one is of my own design I've yet to get it but I made a tribal with Native Amreican theme, but it's wholly mine, I designed it myself. So it's a unique triabl.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Wonderful to read everyone's story.

I'll share mine with you:

My first tattoo's are a pair; a great cat running down my right arm to represent the energy that I send into the world. And it's opposite running up my left to represent the energy that I receive. (the cat is one of my guides btw)

On my right upper chest is tattooed an image of the Green Man.
On my lower left leg there is a scorpion tattoo. My name, Katsu, means scorpion and it too guides me.

My back has 2 Awen symbols on my shoulderblades (which will have a litlle bit of extra work done Tuesday)
And in between, located over my spine are 2 tat's (below one another) that I've had done in my studies as a Druid.

To this will be added one more on the 22nd. Also over my spine and below the latter one's; once more with the same intention.
/|\