Goddess Figurines

Care to see my etchings?
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Goddess Figurines

Post by Jescissa » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:34 am

For thousands of years different cultures have created figurines carved from bone, from wood, from stone or made from ceramics in the shape of holy creatures. One of the most enduring images is the Venus; there have been found many prehistoric figurines given the name Venus, there's the Venus of Willendorf, the Venus of Brassempouy and the Venus of Dolní Věstonice, amongst others. Palaentologists and anthropologists suggest that these figurines represent a Mother Goddess, attributing the exaggerated feminine features to an idea of perpetual life-giving energy.

Aside from being great works of art, they are a fascinating link to the ancient Pagan cultures we are descended from and in honour of the Goddess I felt moved to sculpt my own Venus figurine, with inspiration from elements of each original Venus. At the moment I don't know what to do with her, but I suspect she will reveal a purpose to me in time :-D

Enjoy! The picture is a bit blurry, unfortunately. My digicam and I really don't get along!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:36 pm

Again lovely...I wish I could sculpt!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:32 am

Thank you :-D

Ahh, it all started with play-doh when I was two and it spiralled from there :-D
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men