WARNING RE IMAGE SHACK!!!! ALL READ!!!

Care to see my etchings?
Ragnar

WARNING RE IMAGE SHACK!!!! ALL READ!!!

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:27 am

I have noticed two members who are using image shack are posting photos, that leave the tabs open.

This means any one can enter photos on to your account, and put them onto websites. As far as that website is concerned, the URL leads back to YOU!

Also, the photos you put on THIS web site can be deleted FROM YOUR IMAGE SHACK ACCOUNT FROM THE LINK HERE!!!

Your account can not be entered from here. BUT CAN BE ADDED TO:

BEWARE UNTIL THIS IS SORTED OUT!!

Could any one using image shack contact them and make them aware of this problem?

Thanks,

RAGNAR (with Moderator hat on I am affraid. :cry: )

This will be a "sticky" until we can fix this problem.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:53 am

I don't actually have an account with image shack. I used them till they started with the whole advertising pop-unders.

I use file anchor and imagesocket now.

they're both free and you don't need an account to upload with either one.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:00 pm

BAD NEWS PEOPLE!!!

I was right.

ANY ONE LOADING PICTURES ON THE LINK THAT IS OPENED BY CLICKING ON YOUR IMAGE SHACK THUMBNAILS, ALLOWS THEM TO ADD PHOTO´S TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 pm

I don't have an account with them. Luckily, you can still use the site without making an account. Just putting this in so it doesn't deter pic newbies to using the site.

Thank you very much for bringing this to everyones' attention!! I had no idea! Yikes.

=D> Good Mod. Very good Mod.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:19 pm

I DID have an account last year, in fact some of my pictures here are still Image shack. But I left for a different reason, and went to Photobucket.

But I opened an account Friday to check this out.

IF you use a link that is obtained by klicking on the thumbnail of a photo supplied to a web site. Then you can load photos onto the account of that person that placed those photos. EVEN IF THE ACCOUNT IS MARKED "PIVATE".

If you go through google straight to ISh. Then you load your photo, colect the [IMG], and URL details, then close the window, and that is that.

There is still a question of what happens to that photo?, who has access? With no account details, how do you prove "copy right"? Where is it stored? How do you delete them, from wherever they are? ETC.

There are many other free servers out there to choose from. I know for one that Photo bucket does not have these issues.

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:31 pm

I thought accounts with image shack went down? They used to have forums and everything at one point... I stick to photobucket now thought.
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:48 pm

I wonder why?

Must admit I have not checked it since putting this up.

I will leave it though because it serves as a warning to check ANY site that you put your information on. Not just Image shack.

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Well they have screwed up a few times, I only use them when I'm hosting a very large gif. But even now photobucket has learnt to handle them!

But they had a huge forum with alot of people, An account which worked like photo bucket, I log on one day and then bam.. no accounts, no forums, no saved pictures and alot of dead links.
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 pm

I have just checked. All my pictures are there. But I can not log in. BUT I can STILL add pictures.

So the problem has not gone away.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Image shack used to have a much larger user base, forums, and was a great free image host. Until the bad times came.

In short:
Macbeth, the guy that created the site was a member of the Awful Forums over at http://www.somethingawful.com and most of the original userbase came from that site. It was a pretty cool service and worked pretty well most of the time. Eventually though, the service quality and reliability of image shack started to drop, while at the same time, Macbeth started to advertise with multiple popups and popunders, while embeding a linkback to his site in every picture, which basically created advertising both for his site and since people were inadvertantly loading his site, advertising revenue when the popups opened. This upset the Something Awful admins and they basically disowned him. The SA goons followed suit. Since there were multiple free image hosts available by this point, they just started boycotting him. The imageshack community dried up shortly after that.

I haven't been in them in a long time, so I don't know if they're back up or not.
Last edited by davisherm on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:52 pm

They are. But in a very half hearted way.